Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Day 3

Fire

If your like me then you have a furnace that has an electric ignition, that won’t work if there is no power. So how do you stay warm? Like I said before I live in the North and we get cold, not as cold as some but cold none the less. Wendy Brown offers the suggestion of heating rocks to help stay warm. I love this idea. We have a fire pit that could be used for this purpose and some bricks. I also like the idea of solar passive heat. Here is one place that you can find out a bit more information. You can also heat water with solar, click here to find out more.

We have a gas grill, a smoker, a propane stove and a fire pit. I realize that eventually if things didn’t go back to normal I will run out of fuel. But I still will have the fire pit. That is an asset. I can use it to cook on as well as to help with staying warm. There are trees in the neighborhood and we have an ax. Now I need to get a wood rack and get back to getting our wood pile built back up.

We are also looking at getting a wood burner for the living room. We have an open type concept, so the living room, dining room and the kitchen will receive the heat. It could even make the entire main floor decent. Not sure since I don’t have it yet. But that would be great if it made it so we could sleep in our beds and not freeze to death… I guess that would be an added bonus…. LOL!

Something else that Wendy Brown talks about in the book is, Ok, you need fire but where is it going to come from. I have a nice stock of matches and we have a flint fire starter. I also learned a neat trick. You take steel wool and a 9 volt battery. It will start a fire very quickly. I saw that on one of the discovery channel survival shows.

Need to Do or Get
  1. Get a wood rack
  2. Get the wood burner
  3. Buy more propane
  4. More matches
  5. Learn how to use a bow fire starter
  6. Find more down trees, chop, split and dry
  7. Try to find hot water bottles (Do they even still make these?)
  8. Make heavier blankets
  9. Have heavier clothing (ski-doo jumpers, snow pants, good boots)
Yart

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

Thanks for the reminder.....cooler weather is just around the corner. We're currently dealing with our own "how do we keep the kid's bedroom warm this winter".

Deus Ex Machina said...

Wendy's favorite saying is "And then what?" What happens when the propane runs out or the food is gone? You seem to be considering the future as well.

On another note, the is something personally rewarding when you learn the bowdrill and first start a friction fire.