Thursday, September 15, 2011

42 Degrees

That is how cool it was this morning. It doesn’t look like it is going to get much warmer at night any time in the near future. Autumn is making a grand show of itself this year. Grim needed to know when we turned the furnace on last year. Good thing I blog about most everything. We didn’t turn it on until November. The only reason I turned it on was because it was 28 that morning… LOL! I told him had we had a little wood burner I would have waited. But it was just to cold in the morning for showers without some type of heat. I need to go and see if there is going to be another freeze your buns off challenge again this year!

I didn’t get to the pear until today. I juiced them in the steam juicer and strained out the pulp. I had 3 cups of pulp that I turned into Almond Pear Sauce (3~12oz jars). Plus, the 11 cups of juice that I will be making syrup out of later tonight (9 pints). So now it is officially done. At least the Pears. I still have the two bushels of apples. I should be able to get 1/2 to 1 full bushel done tomorrow! It will all be made into sauce and maybe some butter. But here are the recipes I used today.

Almond Pear Sauce
3 cups of pear pulp
1/2 cup pear juice
3/4 cup of sugar
1 tsp of Almond extract
Heat, jar and water bath for 20 minutes per pint 25 minutes for quart

Pear Syrup
11 cups of pear juice
11 cups of sugar
Bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes.
Jar and water bath for 10 minutes

Remember to always check with the National Center for Home Food Preservation first before you try any recipe to see if it is safe. The rules change all the time. So it is better to be safe then sorry.

Yart

2 comments:

SkippyMom said...

It's gotten chilly here too, but we are loving it. Throw on a sweater or a down duvet on the bed, good to go.

We held out to November last year too - And I am like you, thank goodness I blog about stuff otherwise I couldn't keep track. heehee

The weather has been so fickle - no one seems happy with what we have. I for one am thrilled as long as it isn't extreme [tornado, hurricane, earthquake or flood. Blizzards I can/have handle.]

Hope you can keep the heat off for awhile.

SkippyMom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.