Thursday, February 3, 2011

Ups and Downs

I am up to 45 minutes on the treadmill and down 3 pounds. I made sure by a couple days that my weight didn't fluctuate before I posted. Very happy!!! Now only 54 pounds to go. The doctor wants 12 pounds by the end of April. So only 9 more to go for her!!!

I have been trying lots of new things to eat.... One thing I love is the Kraft Mayo with Olive oil. It tastes good and with no cholesterol! So I still get to eat tuna, since fresh fish in this area is almost non-existent. I mean there is fish... just yucky fish.... most of it is imported... and it looks bad. Here is another recipe that I tried.

Makes: 6
Prep: 15 minutes Cook: 1 hour 12 minutes
 
Country Dijon Beef Stew
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe 6

  • Amount Per Serving
  • Calories 307
  • Total Fat (g) 13
  • Saturated Fat (g) 4
  • Cholesterol (mg) 69
  • Sodium (mg) 396
  • Carbohydrate (g) 11
  • Fiber (g) 2
  • Protein (g) 34

Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Ingredients
  • 1  tablespoon  unsalted butter
  • 1    small onion, chopped
  • 8  ounces (about 2 cups)  mushrooms, cleaned, trimmed and quartered
  • 2  pounds  boneless beef chuck, trimmed and cut into 1-inch chunks
  • 4  tablespoons  all-purpose flour
  • 2  tablespoons  olive oil
  • 1  can (14.5 ounces)  low-sodium beef broth
  • 1  tablespoon  Worcestershire sauce
  • 1  tablespoon  countrystyle grainy Dijon mustard
  • 3    carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch coins
  • 1  teaspoon  chopped fresh rosemary
  • 1/4  teaspoon  salt
  • 1/4  teaspoon  black pepper
  •   cooked noodle eggs (optional)

Directions

Heat butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and mushrooms and cook 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
Meanwhile, toss beef with 3 tablespoons of the flour. Add 1 tablespoon of the oil to the pot and increase heat to mediumhigh. Add half the beef and cook 2 minutes, browning on all sides. Transfer to bowl with onions and mushrooms. Add remaining tablespoon oil and second half of beef to pot. Cook 2 minutes, browning on all sides. Transfer to bowl; reduce heat to medium.
Add 3/4 cup of the beef broth to the pot. Whisk in Worcestershire and mustard, scraping up any brown bits on bottom of the pan. Add mixture from bowl back to the pot along with the remaining beef broth. Cover and simmer on low for 15 minutes.
Uncover and stir in carrots. Cover and cook an additional 45 minutes.
In small bowl, stir together 2 tablespoons water, the remaining tablespoon flour, rosemary, salt and pepper. Stir into stew and cook 3 minutes, until thickened. Serve with
noodles, if desired.

Everyone loved it. So it will go into the recipe box. The next recipe got mixed reviews.... But that will have to wait till next time... Picky monster has a half day!

Gotta Run,
Yart

2 comments:

SkippyMom said...

Congrats on the loss - awesome! Nine lbs is so doable.

Like the recipe. We are going to make it up on Saturday and take it over to my inlaws on Sunday for dinner. [Stuff is always better when it sits I think.]

I do have our own beef stew recipe, but I like the addition of the dijon. And served over egg noodles, bonus! [We will use the "no yolks" brand - they have no sodium. :)]

Jennifer said...

Congratulations on your weight loss!! I'm trying to lose about
20 lbs myself and I know how difficult it is. I'm definetely going to try this recipe. It looks delicious and I think my husband will like it too.