Tuesday, May 5, 2020

May 5th 2020

The weather here has been crazy. We have been up to 80 then back down to 30. It makes working in the yard quite the task. We have been doing what we can when we can. Since we lost our faithful companion in the fall, I decided to turn the area nearest the back door into a cottage type garden. We weren't able to use that space before because he ran the fence line and would destroy anything planted there. I moved all the perennial flowers out from behind the garage. They are now in the cottage garden. I still need to amend the soil behind the garage. That is where I will be planting the 3 sisters. I have gem corn, runner beans and honeynut squash, I am so hoping they grow well. I have always wanted to do the 3 sisters. Now is my chance. We moved an old bed. The wood is from my original raised beds from like 10 years ago. This is the 3rd and final incarnation. I will be planting tomatoes, marigolds and chives in that bed. Since I wasn't able to get out and get wood during the height of the pandemic, I reused and made due. As you can see from the photo, there are a ton of projects in various stages of completion.







I planted peas, radishes, green onions, salad mix, arugula, spinach, and swiss chard direct sow. They are all coming up beautifully. Now if I can keep them alive during the freeze coming at the end of this week. We will see. Yesterday, I direct sowed red russian kale, rainbow mix carrots, honeynut squash, lil pumpkins, zucchini, acorn squash. All 3 squash have nasturtium planted with. These are all in pots. My soil isn't the best and I really don't have room at this time to plant in the ground. So pots it is.




I bought some starts, lemon verbena, 2 types of mint (pepper & spear), garden sage,  2 types of thyme (common & lemon), lemon grass and lemon balm. I got a doggie swimming pool and a ton of everbearing strawberry starts. I wasn't going to buy starts as my daughter got bare root berries and we planted them only to have the squirrel rip the poor little pot apart. The picture is fuzzy because I took it through the screen. He had already destroyed it so I just let him finish while I took pictures..... That's the way of the world I guess.


I was even able to get some crocheting done in the down time.

This is the mystic lanterns that I started over a year ago. All the pieces are done. And now all the strips are put together. Now, if I can find more time all the strips need to be sewn up and I will have yet another completed blanket.

Smile Loudly 
&
Live Blessed

Yart

0 comments: