Saturday, May 9, 2020

5-9-2020

In my last post I talked about not having anything to say. Well, thank you Covid-19, because of you I have a voice again! I know that sounds so stupid doesn't it. Because of a virus I have gotten off my butt and gotten back to doing what I should have been doing all along. I have been dehydrating all types of food. Well, hang on... I know I tend to get ahead of myself. Let me explain.

When the shelter in place orders were looming, I went out and got my normal shopping done and picked up a few extra things. Nope, before you ask.... I was not one of the people who purchased huge amounts of toilet paper or any other items. But I will say I got a big box of those little shelf stable creamers. You know, coffee without cream is like a life not worth living! 😁

I already had potatoes and onions in the basement from the fall. That was what prompted me to pull out the dehydrator out. I was concerned that I would allow this food to go to waste and not have the ability to go out and get more. So what's a poor city girl to do you ask? Well, I'll tell you. I cleaned and cut up all the onions and got them in the freezer. I couldn't dry them as the last time I dried onions the family almost ran me out of town. So into the freezer they went. Then came time to deal with the potatoes. I haven't used my pressure canner in a couple years. So I don't even know if the seal or gauge is still good and I wasn't able to go our and get them checked. So this is where the dehydrator comes into play. I par boiled the potatoes, cooled them and then peeled. I used my hand grater because my grater attachment for the kitchen aid was buried in the closet. It didn't take to long to get that done. Then on to the trays. I honestly don't remember what temp and for how long. I can say it was at a lower temp and for a lot longer then I would have normally done it. Once they were dried and let to cool. I put them into my coffee grinder and ground them up. They are now in the cupboard as dehydrated mashed potatoes!

Since then I've done limes, oranges, pears, kiwi, cinnamon sugar apples. I found a bag of mixed veggies in the freezer and those went into the dehydrator as well. 

Now I have a confession to make. I'm not usually a fad follower, but since the pandemic and so much time on my hands.... I found that people have been buying up every bag of marshmallows that they can find. Almost a shortage situation. I know crazy right? The reason for all this is because they are dehydrating them. Well, let me tell you. I had a bag on the shelf. You know the mini type. Well, I put them in and they are going to be a mainstay in this household from now on. They are so good on there own. But to add to cereal or hot chocolate, they should be considered a food group all on their own!!!

I've got a grocery pickup tomorrow. I have like 8 bags of marshmallows in the order. Not all the same flavor. But 1 of each of 8 types. I can't wait. Especially since it is to cold for me to be messing around in the garden.

Smile Loudly
&
Live Blessed
Yart

0 comments: